The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear Activities

Friends~Do you love The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear?  I sure do! It was a total favorite of my daughter Lily's when she was small.  I bet I have read it over 100 times! 
The Schroeder Page
Don and Audrey Wood are some of my favorite authors!  This book in particular is super cool because of the point of view!  The narrator talks to the mouse throughout the story.  I also get a kick out of how the BIG HUNGRY BEAR never arrives in the story!  

The illustrations are adorable especially the one with the Groucho Marx glasses! I always grab several sets of these glasses to pass out as story souvenirs or put in a retelling station!  
Click to below to purchase your own pair!
The Schroeder Page
How can you not LOVE this????

The Schroeder Page

I found this video reading of the book that is great! 
By Mary Ellen Krasue 

Another fun thing to do with this book is to study the life cycle of the strawberry!  I am pretty lucky because my daughter Lily and my mom planted a strawberry garden in my backyard.  
The Schroeder Page
Grab some FREE Life Cycle Cards
 by clicking below!
The Schroeder Page
I am saving the best for last!  Right now my house smells heavenly!  I am making crock pot strawberry jam! I always cook in my classroom with my crockpot and this book lends itself to delicious strawberry jam and biscuits!
The Schroeder Page
It is so simple to make.  Just grab 2 pounds of strawberries. 1/4 a cup of lemon juice and 2 cups of sugar.  Cut up your strawberries and cover them with the lemon juice and sugar.  Cook on high for 2-4 hours! 
The Schroeder Page
If you are loving these ideas and are looking for more to go along with this book just click below.  I just put a very fun file together with lots of great extension activities!
The Schroeder Page
Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!